Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chili Days

A cold October weekend calls for two things: chili and football. While I have a few favorite chili recipes, this weekend I tried a new one: Black Bean-Salsa Chili a reader recipe from this month's issue of Cooking Light.

The addition of black beans (whole and pureed) and a mild salsa gave the chili a wonderful depth of flavor while keeping the right amount of heat without overpowering our taste buds. We topped the chili with sour cream mixed with fresh lime juice and cilantro and also baked corn bread to round out the meal. The recipe itself was quick and fairly easy.

Next time I make it, I might add water instead of beef broth or I might double the recipe and see how well it freezes. All in all, we loved this recipe and it will be our standard chili recipe from now on. There is no better way to enjoy a fall day at home with my boys.

No comments: